Friday, October 01, 2010

A moment of love!

We all encounter love in the strangest of forms. It’s purely subjective and hence others may not quite understand it although it makes great sense to us. A long time ago, something like that happened to me. It was not romantic love by any stretch of imagination. It was just a good human being showing care for another. I am a firm believer that care cannot exist without some form of love. I was 12 years old and she was around 20. She had no brothers and I was her neighbour.

I remember our household TV had conked off once and I the eternal couch potato used to shamelessly go to her place to catch something on the tube. One day while watching a cartoon show, there was a power failure. Amidst all that humor, this felt like a calamity and it instantly showed on my face. That female too pulled a long face and said, "Well, let’s hope that the power comes back soon." I took her leave and trundled back home, which was just the adjacent building. Five minutes had passed when I was shaken from my seat by a loud call of my name. The call coincided with my ceiling fan switching on. I rushed to my balcony and saw her waving to me yelling, "Come, come, the power's back, the show's still on."

Maybe then, I was too young to realize, but today I smile with a sense of gratitude. As nonchalant as it may seem, now I believe that knowingly or unknowingly that calling out to me was a moment of real kindness, a moment of love! We no longer stay there and I don’t know where she is now but wherever she is - May god bless her!

No comments: