Friday, August 17, 2007

Hey Baby!

It was almost like a playback singer beginning a rendition. The pitch started on a low note and graduated towards the higher ones. The lyrics were totally alien to us, but then babies crying softly just for us to pick them up and pacify can sound more than melodious. I did just that … Hello, I mean I picked him up and my cute nephew started to sulk. It was 10.30 PM and this 10 month old bundle of joy had managed to kiss our sleep good bye.

Nonetheless, we all - which includes me, mom, sister and my niece - were forced into awakening. Brat!!! He must have been a proud guy at that moment. You ought to be when you get so much attention. I was carrying him in my arms trying to lull him back to sleep with my husky voice. It was all in vain, as his whining just picked up on the decibels. May be I was fueling the fire, with my awful attempts at the lullaby, which is so very effective when my Mom sings it.

I still walked around holding him close to my chest, patting him gently. I was hoping that at least this would work. My lullaby wasn’t doing the job, and I had to give up, lest I woke up the entire neighborhood.

After a while, his crying started to subside. The effort put in, was beginning to tell. He was getting tired, and was slowly but surely catching the forty winks. Yes, his sleeping pattern is rather unusual when compared to other babies. He rarely sleeps more than 8 hours in day, and that too in patches.


Anyway, I started feeling better as his head relaxed against my left shoulder. Little hands clung on to my neck, and tiny legs straddled my midriff. Don’t know why, but I feel that hugs are the best ways of expressing love, especially with babies not old enough to understand words. I recalled some past events in my life, and smiled to myself. If only adults could understand what mouths couldn’t convey.


However, past is past and this kid was asleep fast. Wow! That rhymed. I was pleased at myself when I handed him back to my sister. By this time even I had grown weary, and I walked off to my bed with a hope that even I could sleep like a BABY.

The next morning as I was about to leave for office mom said, “He was up again at midnight, and was back to sleep only at 2. What do you have to say?” I shrugged, and bid goodbye to her.



No comments: