Sunday, August 12, 2007

I am OK!

It's funny how a man wants to be happier when he is happy and sadder when he's sad. Makes no sense? Well, I mostly do but when I am drunk this is what happens. I guess, something more than this happens. I don't know how funny it is at that moment, but everyone around seems to be smiling or even laughing, so I guess I am doing my job of entertaining. I have regained my senses now and let me just tell you about this little incident.

It was our office anniversary and we all were desperately waiting for the evening. This was a family affair and most employees had brought in their spouses, children, parents or whoever that can constitute their families. I was all by myself. My folks are not exactly party animals. Anyway, the music started rocking and soon the crowd near the liquor bar (yes, we had a bar that day in our office cafeteria) started swelling. Now you know why I didn't get my parents along. Very soon I had a glass of VODKA LIME CORDIAL in my hand. For the teetotalers here's a lil definition. VODKA LIME CORDIAL is Vodka mixed with lime juice and a sweet soft drink. Sprite's my choice.


The band was decent and was crooning some of the most heard English and Hindi songs. I am not a regular boozer and it had started to show. The VLC (hunt above for the full-form) was doing its job and I could sense, I was getting high. Suddenly came, the song I was talking about that morning with one of my colleagues. I went and stood beside her. I still had the glass in my hand, nearly empty. She looked at me and said, "I was looking for you; remember you were asking me about this song this morning?" I nodded. Yes, I simply nodded and I tend to do that because I don't trust my mouth in that stupor. Smart that she is, quickly understood my predicament and rubbed it in. "So, how high are you feeling?", she questioned with a sarcastic smile.


I blurted out a reply which made her scamper as fast and as far as possible from me, which is when I realized my folly. Her friend was startled. GOSH!!! You should know when to keep your mouth shut. I still managed to giggle, although deep down I was cringing with embarrassment. The party lasted for another couple of hours and so did my inebriation. Throughout whenever she looked at me, I yelled out "I AM OK". I was certainly not, because the next time we met she told me that I had said "I AM OK" at least 10 times whereas I can recall myself saying that only twice or thrice.

I still thank god, that I didn't end up with a swollen cheek that night. It's been some weeks, since this happened and we all still laugh over it.

No comments: