Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pune is my IPL team, but India is my country!

The IPL has caught the nation’s imagination, big time, albeit for more wrong reasons than right. By the recent turn of events one can easily conclude that cricket is no longer just a sport. It’s business. Period. Business can be both ethical and otherwise; and as long as it is raking in the moolah and not too many get offended; it’s good. It’s a different story altogether once the unethical bits are leaked out to public. Then, it can get bad, for some.

Regardless of whatever happens now, there is one question that I ponder over. In fact this is a viewpoint of one of my friends. His question was, “Isn’t the IPL dividing us further?” I think the answer to that is an emphatic YES! I agree; there are players from every culture or ethnicity playing for the IPL teams. Cheerleaders from different countries are dancing to Indian tunes. On the face of it, it’s painting a very nice global picture. But the masses, the common Indians who pay money to watch the game; they are cheering for different teams.

There could be a counter-argument to my premise here. Ranji trophy has been going on for ages. Regionalism has not come into cricket via IPL. But honestly, how many people are bothered about Ranji results? How many people stay glued to the TV sets when a Ranji match is on? Or for that matter, how many television channels broadcast live Ranji matches? Few!!!

I am a Punekar. However throughout the last three IPLs, I’ve been rooting fervently for the MUMBAI INDIANS. Thank goodness, at least they have INDIANS in their team name. But, I’ve been supporting them not for that reason alone. The bigger reason is that my favourite cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar - who calls himself an INDIAN, first - plays for that team. I was one of millions who prayed for his recovery after he sustained that hand injury. I was pleased to see him play the final, and equally disappointed when his team lost.

While this entire cricket extravaganza was taking place, two new teams quietly joined the fray. Next year, we are going to have 10 teams fighting it out to be India’s best T20 side. The two new teams are Kochi and Pune. I am a Malayali, born and brought up in Pune. My natural allegiance would be towards my city, Pune. However my parents would be backing Kochi. There you go; we have a divide right within my family. I also wonder if me or my parents would be praying for any other teams’ players if Kochi or Pune make it to the final. And I just can’t imagine what would happen at my place, if Kochi and Pune play the final. :-)

Having said all that, this competition is good for Indian cricket. It will definitely strengthen the Indian squad. So long as it is healthy, the better. My heartfelt wish is that this lovely country of ours, which prides itself on being united despite the diversity, doesn’t fall prey to yet another kind of regionalism. IPL induced regionalism.

2 comments:

Hemu Killawala said...

Debatable issue, Prashant and I may have a different view on it. Our ability to have different views on the same topic and yet remain close friends is exactly the fabric of our Nation.....UNITY IN DIVERSITY....remember??!!! Well written post as always buddy....and keenly observant too!!

Asha Vijay said...

I liked your perspective to the division caused by IPL, however one has to enjoy competetive sports like how league matches are played in the US. Its the same way!Anyways I agree with you, since Sachin is my favourite I will always support Mumbai Indians...even if a Pune team comes up good....