Monday, December 11, 2006

Dream!!!

It is a late summer afternoon. I am driving a car and the place is unfamiliar. The road is deserted. After a long drive I arrive at a beautiful mansion.The gatekeeper questions me and I tell him I want to meet the owner. I introduce myself and the gates are opened. I park my car at the foot of the very broad stairway.I get out of the car and take a look at the surroundings. They are fantastic. Beautiful green lawns, very well maintained garden..I can see a couple of gardeners working..For a moment I am in awe...I let the feeling sink in and then climb the stairs. The door is huge and very intricately designed..Teakwood...I suppose.
I press the door bell. For a while there is total silence. I can hear my breath. With every passing second I am getting more and more impressed at the mansion and its surroundings. The silence is broken with the creak of the door opening. An elderly lady dressed in a white saree stands in front of me. I have a feeling, she is the maid of the house, evident from the fact that she has a towel thrown over her left shoulder. My doubt is cleared when she asks me, "Sir, How can I help you?". I reply,"Can u please tell that PACLOT has come to meet". Just as I finish my sentence I hear loud laughter of little children coming running in to the hall from another room. Following them is a lady dressed in a Pink Salwar Kameez. She has long hair and her face is covered with them after all that running. I smile at the kids. There is something unusual about these children and I am sure she is not their mother after counting them...23 in all. Well, the thing that looks common in all these kids was POVERTY. None of them looks more than 10...or maybe their malnourished bodies fooled me...but they are small for sure. But hats off to their cheerful faces...they all look very happy. As all these thoughts go around in my mind, she asks to me sit down. I smile again and she takes her seat facing me. She runs her hand over her forehead to move her hair back. Lo and behold!!! I am staring straight at her face...and who is she???


God knows! Whoever she was? Sure is great! :)

No comments: