Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Trek - Part 2

Well, I am yet to introduce my 3 pals to you. Short names...I guess that would be enuf. So, here they are...V, N and M. The morning was getting brighter as we whizzed past some slow moving trucks on a thankfully, traffic-free road. The wind was slapping our faces hard, but we all were enjoying it. Km after km ticked away on our speedometers and within no time, we had covered 20 kms. M was riding pillion with me, and kept up a lively commentary about the places that were passing by. This was my first time on that road, and I was pretty interested in listening. As we rode over a flyover, M tapped my shoulder,"We should have taken the previous left turn, not come over the flyover. Anyway, lets cross-over and take a reverse. It's a no-entry, but no worries". He was right, we don't have traffic cops so early in the morning. So after a minute we caught up V and N and all us stopped near Warje for some tea. A hot glass(that's actually smaller than a cup) of tea felt fantastic in the cool weather. Now I thought of leaving the driver's seat to M.
M is a ferocious rider. Safe but ferocious. And add to that, the village roads. I was hopping up and down on the back seat, sometimes yelling at M to slow down, sometimes holding on tightly to the handle at the rear, sometimes just closing my eyes, sometimes just keeping quiet...Phew! Riding pillion couldn't have been more draining, at least mentally. Thankfully, there was no incident. After a while, I felt relaxed as the roads were practically deserted. Bad roads without traffic snarls ain't that intimidating. So, as we raced along, we passed fields, brooks, huts, in short got to see what the country side is all about. The beautiful Khadakwasla dam went past. May be we were getting lost in the beauty and serenity of the place. M surely did because we weren't getting anyway near Sinhagad. M realised it, but not before we had covered a long distance. I had absolutely no clue whatsoever. "You have come the wrong way, about 10 KM or so", said a couple of kind passersby. We all cringed.
"Well done M! First of all, scare the daylight out of me with your riding, and then lose the route, that too 10 KM, what the fuck?", I thought. I wasn't too keen to allow him to ride any more. I rode on the way BACK to Sinhagad. The fuel tank had ample, so we were not particularly bothered. We all were singing along as we took the CORRECT turn near the Khadakwasla dam and sped to our destination - Sinhagad.

No comments: